The decennial of the establishment of the Department of Computer Applications of Vidya Academy of Science & Technology happened to be in August 2016. The occasion got submerged in the activities surrounding the orientation and induction programmes for the newly admitted students of the current academic year and did not receive the attention and importance it deserved. Also, the hectic academic schedule of the first MCA batch affiliated to APJAKU prevented the Department from taking up novel initiatives to celebrate the year in a befitting way during the first half of the decennial year. However, the faculty and staff are quietly celebrating the decennial year internally by focusing more on the internal academic processes.
During the second half of the current academic year, the Department has organized a few events to mark the decennial year:
- The Department initiated steps to start add-on courses for the students. The first add-on course titled Web Development through PHP, targeted at students of S3 MCA class, was inaugurated on 12. 01.2017. The Department plans to ensure that every student completes at least one add-on course along with their regular classes.
- The Department organized a Two-day Workshop Chip-to-Net 2.0 for the students of the neighbouring arts and science Colleges during 19-20 January 2017. The programme was a great success. As many as 45 students representing ten colleges participated in the Workshop. The response to the workshop was so overwhelming that the Department is considering organizing a similar workshop a second time this academic year itself.
- The Department launched Vidya Mobile, a mobile app Vidya Academy of Science & Technology.
- The Department organized a talk by Mr. Nandakumar E, a computer science prodigy, currently studying in the final year of BSc course of Calicut University. As a free software enthusiast, Mr Nandakumar started developing socially useful software at a young age, especially software which helps visually challenged persons in using computers more effectively.
The Department has plans to organize a few more activities as part of the decennial year celebrations. The following are some of the ideas that have emerged during discussions in department meetings:
- An online mini-serial quiz in three episodes open to all students and staff of the College with cash prizes
- An essay writing competition on a theme related to Vidya for the staff of the College with cash prizes
- Putting up a decennial-memorial plaque for permanent display in the premises of the Department
- A seminar on the Challenges and Prospects of Computer Applications (depending on availability of funds)
- A Faculty Development Programme on a topic relevant to teachers in Computer Science/Computer Applications/Communications (subject to availability of funds)
- A poorva-vidyarthi-sangamam
- Online publication of a few interesting books in Malayalam
- Adoption of a few trees planted by Fr. Davis Chiramel for protection and maintenance
Details will be announced as when the details are finalized. We request wholehearted support and encouragement of all members of the Vidya family in our humble endeavor to make the decennial year of the Department of Computer Applications a memorable one for all.