Conceived by Kerala Development and Innovation Strategic Council (K-DISC) and implemented by National Institute of Speech and Hearing (NISH), Kerala Technological University (KTU), is a noble and unique project named “Innovation by Youth with Disabilities (I-YwD)” of the Government of Kerala which provides hands-on training in innovation and entrepreneurship to the passionate youth with disabilities of Kerala.
Kerala Technological University (KTU) in association with I-YwD and NISH is facilitating the initiatives for KTU affiliated colleges, including – AAC (Augmentative Assistive Communication Device) project, Disability related awareness sessions, Job fair for Differently abled, association with Innovation with Youth with Disabilities ( IYwD) a project funded by K-DISC implemented by NISH, internships for students etc.
Ms. Daisy Sebastian (Project Director, NISH) welcomed the gathering. Dr R Bindu (Hon. Minister for Higher Education & Social Justic) inaugurated the MoU signing Event at NISH. Dr M.S. Rajasree (KTU Vice Chancellor) addressed the audience with her keynote speech. Dr. Jamuna B and Adv. M. Saju, KTU Syndicate Members facilitated the event with their greetings.
M Anjana IAS (NISH Executive Director and Director, Social Justice Department) and representatives of 15 engineering colleges, affiliated to the KTU, signed the MoU in the presence of KTU Vice Chancellor Dr M S Rajasree.
Dr Ramani Bai V, (Prof & Head, CSE Dept) who is the authorized signatory of Vidya Academy of Science and Technology represented the Event on behalf of VAST and signed the MoU with NISH.
The activities of NISH
Implementation of various disability-related projects of Govt. of India and Govt. of Kerala.
- Consultative work on policy formulation and implementation on disability as assigned by Government
- Trans-disciplinary assessment and intervention for various disabilities ( Communication Disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Other Developmental Disabilities) by audiologists, speech-language pathologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, special educators, psychologists, ENT doctors and Neurologists.
- Early intervention programs for young hearing-impaired children before school age
- Early intervention programs for young children in the Autism Spectrum
- Academic programs including degree courses for Hearing Impaired students,
- Professional rehabilitation courses like BASLP, MSc (Audio), MSc (Speech Pathology), BOT, DECSE and DISLI.
- Assistive Technology (AT) assessment, implementation and follow-up.
- Counselling and parent guidance.
- Camps and outreach programs such as Public Seminars, Hands-on workshops, CRE programs
- Social relevant research in the field of disability & rehabilitation
- Collaborative projects with institutions in India as well as international
- Faculty exchange programs with institutions working in similar areas both domestic and international
- Internship and employment support for students with industrial organizations
NISH is an autonomous organization registered as a society by the Social Justice Department, Government of Kerala. It is an ISO 9001-2015 certified institute and has been awarded the accreditations such as “Excellent” institute by the Rehabilitation Council of India and ‘Grade A’ institute by NAAC.
NISH is a comprehensive multi-purpose institute focusing on the identification, intervention, rehabilitation and education of individuals with disabilities. Since its inception in 1997, NISH has made significant contributions to improving the quality of life of individuals with disabilities and has taken a pioneering effort in implementing various programs for the disabled population across the state. NISH hosts a unique inclusive campus that has students and staff with diverse abilities.