IEEE Student Branch in Vidya is very delighted to report that four of its student volunteers have been selected as IEEE PES DAY 2021 Ambassadors. The student volunteers were selected as Ambassadors for various categories:
- Student Branch Chapter Category – Fayaz Mohammed
- Student Branch Category – Uma V Menon
- WiE and WiP Category – Neha Baju and Vaanisha Murali
Ambassador is the point of contact between the chapter that is organizing the event and regional lead or country representative. They have to send event information, attend ambassador training and organize events virtually.
The story of IEEE PES Day
- IEEE: Established in 1963, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineer (IEEE) is the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. The IEEE traces its founding to 1884 and the American Institute of Electrical Engineers and it currently consists of about 360,000 members. Distinguished IEEE members have included luminaries such as Thomas Alva Edison and Nikola Tesla. IEEE members have been the driving force behind some of the greatest achievements of mankind, like direct and alternate current, microchips, computers, the Internet, and cellphones.
- PES: The Power and Energy Society (PES) is one of the oldest and largest societies under the IEEE umbrella. PES provides one of the largest and prestigious forums to share the latest developments in the electric power industry and the benefits that they may provide to society in general, as well as discuss how our members can contribute to addressing existing and emerging technology challenges.
- IEEE PES Day: On April 22, 2008, the Power Engineering Society changed its name to the Power and Energy Society to focus on helping the environment and the society. This day has been officially commemorated as “PES Day” for the past three years. All activities conducted in the month of April are counted towards PES Day celebration.