Library Staff attends National Seminar on Librarianship
Ms Surabhi M S (Asst. Librarian) attended a three-day National Seminar on Librarianship organized by St. Thomas’ College (Autonomous), Thrissur, supported by St. Mary’s College, Thrissur, and Kerala College Librarians’ Association (KCLA), at St. Thomas’ College during 07 – 09.12.2017.
The Seminar was inaugurated by Dr. Ananda Byrappa (Librarian, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore). Dr. A T Francis (Librarian, Kerala Agricultural University (KAU)), Dr. Jenson P O (Principal, St. Thomas’ College) Dr. Sr. Magie Jose (Principal, St. Mary’s College), Sr. Maria D’Silva (President, KCLA) and Sri Manoj Kumar (General Secretary, KCLA) attended the inaugural ceremony. The deliberations were divided into three technical sessions with a special presentation by a Resource Person and then presentations by the delegates.
The first technical Session was handled by Dr. Francis Jayakanth (Scientific Officer, IISc). He drew the attention of the librarians to the imperative of doing justice to the performance of their traditional duties with the new responsibilities which they are expected to shoulder with the advent of information age and introduction of the new information technology. The second technical session was led by Dr. Ananda Byrappa, (Librarian, IISc). He emphasized the role of digital libraries, e-books consortiums and online books in modern libraries. He noted that nearly 99% of the IISC Library budget was being spent for purchasing of e-resources and the rest of 1% was only being spent for purchasing printed books.
The second day’s activities were started with a session by Mr. Dileep Raj (Assistant Professor, Government Brennen College, Thalassery). He emphasized the role of librarians in setting up vendor demonstrations and presentations in libraries. In second session, which was a Panel Discussion on Library, Librarians and Expectations, five eminent professors shared their thoughts, experiences and expectations. In the afternoon session, the resource person Ms Anila Sulochana (Central University of Tamil Nadu), pointed out the need for research storage, use of high-performance computing facilities and demand for specialist support and analysts.. Her study demonstrated all the existing issues related with e-resources collection, availability and the emerging technologies.
The third day started with a session on Right to Information Act, 2005 by Sri Lalith Babu (State Resource Person, RTI). His presentation aimed to orient and sensitize the participants to the contents of the RTI Act 2005. He explained the details of the Act pertaining to what was the right of a citizen, what were the types of information a citizen can obtain under this Act, what were the types of records that can be obtained, what were the obligations of public authorities, what were the roles and responsibilities of Public Information Officers (PIO) and Assistant Public Information Officers (APIO), Central and State Information Commissioners, exemptions, the time period for providing information, rejection of information request, the fees applicable etc. One pamphlet prepared by him was also distributed to the participants.
Prof. C. Raveendranath (Minister for Education, Government of Kerala) was the chief guest on the occasion of valedictory function. Dr A T Francis (Librarian, KAU) was honoured by draping a ponnada by Hon. Minister. Dr. Jenson P O (Principal, St. Thomas’ College) presented the report.
The seminar gave an overall view of the role modern libraries have to play in society by integrating educational technology and the new media.